John Pigeau, Columnist
Date Published: Fri, 15 Nov 2013
John (or Johnny to many) is the author of the acclaimed novel The Nothing Waltz, the founder of the First Edition Reading Series and the former owner/creator of Backbeat Books & Music in Perth. He's amicable, easygoing, and fond of a good time. Urgent yet kind, he would like "in your pants" to replace "in bed" as the add-on to fortune cookie fortune "jokes" and he strongly believes Oswald was a patsy.
An Anne Tyler junkie and a U2 fanatic, his hobbies include angst, uncertainty, and golf. He dislikes guns, nuclear weapons, dental surgery, and last call. He adores funky hats. Quick with a joke, a student of compassion, his writing has garnered him comparisons to Raymond Carver and Nick Hornby; his looks, to George Clooney and Beetlejuice.
This year's goals: compete in first thumb war (win spectacularly!), master more than five chords on the guitar, and finish second novel, Speck. Currently his favourite word is "lousy." If possible, he would forever live in the late 1980's.
Mar 5 - Dec 17 Eric Uren & Meghan Balogh
Mar 7 - 31 Mississippi Station
Mar 23 Piano Bar w/Benni Vander
Mar 23 MMLT Howard Clifford & AGM
Mar 24 BOTR: David Gogo
Mar 25 Mississippi Station
Mar 25 Folkus: Vicki Brittle / Brock Zeman
Mar 30 Mattie Leon
Mar 31 Gerald McGrath
Apr 1 Kobo Town Dinner & Show
- Vaz Zastera — Glass Art by The Wonderful Wizard of Vaz
- The 39 Steps It’s a Comedy… It’s a Thriller… It’s Super Theatre!
- River Life — Botanical Reflections An Exhibit by Linda Hamilton
- Examining the First Rough Drafts of History
- Union Hall’s Famous Pancake Breakfast
- Imagining aSafer Community Women’s Conference Coming to Almonte
- Digging Deep in the Story Mines Folkus presents The Gravel Project with Vicki Brittle & Brock Zeman
- Celebrate at Fulton’s!
- Backyard Beauties for MMLT
- Kate Weekes and Christine Graves Double Album Release Concert at Maberly Hall